Choreography Chaos!!!

Well, I have sort of slacked off for the past couple of weeks, even though I still worked full time and taught a special Wednesday night belly dance class at Soul Connexion.  It WAS the Calgary Stampede in our City, and although I didn't end up going, I was still quite busy.  No excuse, I know...but hey...there it is.

One of the big things I absolutely must do is adjust my new red outfit - which I LOVE, and got from Son of the Pharaoh. I need some new belly dance pictures and was thinking of doing a photo shoot with, among others, the red outfit, maybe even with Isis wings - for DRAMA...and/or a veil...hmmm...

(new red shiny-shiny bling bling)

Found a fabulous hairpiece on the weekend - not my normal hair clip with the long curly hair, but with a straight ponytail instead.  It's a little different so we'll see how that goes...I like it - makes me feel like "I Dream of Jeannie" for some reason <giggle>

Realized I need to start putting my pen to paper with the partly completed choreographies I've had going through my brain recently for my intermediate and advanced classes. Some I have the actual songs chosen, and others I have choreography/specific moves, but absolutely no idea what song I will be using.  UGH...
 
 (oh - HAD to go see Wicked on July 17th!)

For my advanced students - definitely a drum piece, and perhaps a sword piece if I can make one up I like, though not sure they will actually DO a sword piece but nice to have one in your back pocket.  For the intermediates, might do a veil (though I'm not a big veil fan, as I'm a Hobbit) and something else...though not sure.  Brain going in a zillion directions at once.

Having all these half-done choreographies going through my mind made me wonder if all teachers/dancers go through this.  When I thought of all the teachers/dancers I know and thought back to previous conversations, I realized yes, yes indeed this is an infliction we all have.  It seems we can't do a damn thing without an idea or a move or a full sequence popping into our brains.  You can be shopping, walking, sleeping (happens a LOT while sleeping), really, just about doing absolutely ANYTHING other than dance - and dance pops into your head.

For instance, was at Wicked the Musical yesterday and, besides LOVING some of the blingy outfits (of course), I saw a couple of moves which were similar to belly dancing moves that I thought would look good in a choreography.  Hmmmmm....

(one of my most awesome t-shirts I now own!)

I truly don't mind my brain being overrun with ideas/thoughts/choreographies - honestly I don't.  But I DO need to start writing  them down, putting pen to paper so maybe they get out of my mind and onto a page.  Then I can start rehearsing them.  Because I know from experience how a choreography can be completely AWESOME in your head - and WOW do you look fantastic performing in your mind. 

However, more often than not, when I finally practice the choreography in my living room which has been in my brain - a lot of it works, and some - oh no no no no...should NEVER have been attempted.  It seems my mind neglects to take into account I'm NOT six feet tall, extremely flexible and graceful as all get out...yeah...no.

That's the sad part of making up choreography.  In your mind, certain moves/sequences look uber fantastic, but in reality, the laws of gravity and physics come into play and they just either do not work, or while attempting them you look like you are going into an epileptic fit. 

That being said, I absolutely LOVE coming up with choreographies - I always have, no matter what style of dancing I was doing.  It's fun, exciting and feels thoroughly creative. Love love love it. 

Shimmy on...
Melika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond

October - what a month!!!