Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond

So...went to an AMAZING workshop the weekend of February 10/11 this year by the fabulous Ashley Rhianne out of Vancouver. It felt SO great to just drill like crazy and learn some fresh new moves. Ashley was not only an amazing dancer, she was an amazingly fabulous, open and giving person. I truly was inspired about dance again.


I hadn't been able to attend the show Friday night because Monkey was sick and had had a fever for days. After the workshop I was still feeling off, but thought it was because I had not been getting any sleep because I had been looking after our sick Monkey. Yeah. No.

Went to doctor. Turns out I had a fever and Strep Throat. <eyeroll> so I went on antibiotics. Twice. The first time I didn't work after 10 days and still had it, so a few days after they put me on stronger antibiotics. Also shortly after the workshop, I slipped on some ice and was holding Monkey up so he wouldn't fall and two of my upper back ribs popped out. So was in some serious pain and doing a lot of chiropractic visits.

Even WITH the injury and the illness, I had to teach every Wednesday night (which was sometimes quite painful and luckily sometimes my students didn't mind me using a "body double" and telling them what to do), and also taught a Mother/Daughter workshop on February 24th. It was a lot of fun and I had to ice my back a lot when I got home - but totally worth it!


Seriously, February and most of March went by and I don't remember much of anything. I missed a few Fish classes, and the two I went to I just sat and watched because I was in to much pain to dance. It was an extremely frustrating time for me. I did nothing with my Tupperware business. Nothing. All I was concentrating on was healing and getting better. It literally felt like a "why me?!" type of time.

So I was THRILLED when April came. I've been able to dance with the Fish on Tuesday nights and teach on Wednesday nights again without pain - and it feels amazing! We are rehearsing for our Outside the Bowl IV show on November 24, 2018, and it's been coming together. I'm so happy to be healthy enough to dance again and realize I need to not take that for granted.

Looking forward to begin drilling at home again without pain and continue teaching (which I love) without pain. Hoping to really get a lot of practicing/drilling in at home to improve my dancing - always learning, always growing.
I love doing what I do. I love dancing. I love teaching. I love sharing my passion with others. When I was injured and sick and COULDN'T dance, it really made me realize how much a part of my life dance really is, and how I feel without it. Keep dancing...always.

Shimmy on...
Melika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Now is the summer of my discontent...