Surviving Suhaila Salimpour

If you've ever heard about Suhaila Salimpour's workshops, you've heard they are brutal.  That you do low squats for what seems like forever, that you sweat more in a few hours than you usually do in months, that your glutes get the workout of a lifetime, that your body feels likes it's going to die.  And yeah, everything you've heard it true...

(myself and Suhaila)

Well, at 7 AM on a beautiful and gorgeous September 24th, I got in my car, stopped for cash (because ya know I gotta shop!), grabbed a coffee and headed on down to DancEnergy.  Didn't care I had a bit of a headache and fever - seeing not only so many of my belly dancing friends there, but so many from out of town was fabulous!!!

Let me say for the record, although the workshop was 2 days, I only registered for the "Drills That Kill" Saturday, as I had Little Fish class on Sunday (which turned out I didn't go to, I stayed home and slept all day Sunday as I was still ill).

I was looking forward to not only the workshop, but hearing her talk about her life and her family, and I wasn't disappointed.  It was BRUTAL hard and I was sweating so much I wasn't sure if it was my fever or what.  Seemed to make me feel better either way - although my glutes were screaming at me to go sit on a block of ice. But you know what?  In a packed room full of dancers who are sweating and dying just as much as you are - it's called "bonding"...the sisterhood of dance pain...you know.

It was a workshop I truly enjoyed - I LOVE working out so much I need to change shirts because it's just dripping wet.  I love pushing my body to the limit and being surprised by what it will do for me.  Not bad for a 41-year-old.

That night, as the Little Fish were dancing in the second half, we got to watch the first half of the show - and it was fantastic! There were troupes and dancers from out of town we have never seen and the energy was fabulous! 

Suhaila got me thinking a number of things. 

My students should really appreciate how easy I am on them! Also, I am very happy I drill so much in my classes.  I was taught to always keep learning, and always keep working on the basics - and that's what I teach MY girls.

It was brutal, it was hard, it was physically and mentally exhausting.  It was also SO worth it!

Shimmy on...
Melika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond

October - what a month!!!