The Pride of a Teacher...

I tell ya...there is nothing cooler for a teacher than seeing your students perform for the very first time, on a stage, with ear-to-ear grins on their faces and having the time of their lives!!!



My girls from Soul Connexion (the studio I teach at) did a short 2:45 choreography I made for them in the Soul Connexion Studios year end student recital.  All but one had never been on a stage in their lives - and they did me proud!
(my girls being cheeky - how can you NOT love them!)

I could NOT stop grinning (and crying) as they lifted those boobs up, smiled at the audience, and had the time of their lives, even though they were terrified.  I didn't realize till afterward how many of them had "conquered a fear" just by being onstage - that was so cool!!! They didn't LOOK nervous - but yeah, apparently most were ;-)

The best part of the day for me was the surprise awaiting one of my students - Margaret Giers (yes honey, I'm putting your name in my blog - love you, but deal with it).  Unbeknownst to Margaret, the owner of the studio had come to me a few months ago to ask who I wanted to put forward for "most improved dancer" - and I immediately said Margaret.  She agreed immediately as she also had seen a difference in Margaret.

Since Margaret joined my class almost 2 years ago, I have seen a VAST difference in her.  She told me herself she "held herself differently, she stood differently". I told her it's because she's a dancer.  Margaret was incredibly shy at the beginning (and still is at times!)  However, she has blossomed as a person and as a dancer.  Her dancing is improving, she is always willing to learn, she gives her all in class, and she has a glow about her that did not seem to exist when she first walked in that studio door.


(Me and my girls!!!)

After being onstage the first show (there were 2 that day!), she said "you have no idea what a life changing experience this has been for me".  It was VERY hard not to blurt out "just you wait!"

For the finale - when all dancers were onstage and they were giving out the awards - they announced the winner of the Soul Connexion 2011 most improved dancer was an adult.  Then they announced her name.  She stood up in shock, then turned to see me walking onstage holding a trophy and a pink LuLu Lemon bag for her.  She started crying, I started crying (I'm crying now as I write this and remember).  We hugged in the middle of the stage - the crowd cheered.  She said it was a memorable moment in her life and I love that.




Not every woman is a 5'10", size 2 with big boobs supermodel goddess (frankly, there are not many of those around anyway).  Good grief - I'M certainly not!!! Women need to understand that should not STOP them from doing something they want to do!!!

I love teaching - I truly do.  I love what I do.  I love performing as well because I love to play with the audience, to feel the music, to live in the music.  But teaching others the joy I have when I dance is special to me. Having them SEE themselves differently and FEEL differently about themselves is tremendous - that's WHY I teach. Because it's not about ME, it's about THEM.  Seeing them grow as not only women, but dancers, fills my heart.

Shimmy on...
Melika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond

October - what a month!!!