Back At It

Well, I didn't realize when I deleted my website it would have deleted a number of my blogs, but there you go. Can't remember all I posted, but I guess I will just move forward.

I deleted my website last year as I have not been professionally dancing or teaching for awhile. I forward a lot of requests on to other dancers because I preferred to spend time with my family and our growing son. But I had a chance meeting when I ran into the owner of Soul Connexion last summer during events in our community and we got to chatting. She asked if I was still dancing and I said yes. She asked if I was still teaching and I said "no, but I'd like to get back to teaching"...and there you go!

I began teaching again at Soul Connexion in September 2017 (after a 2-year hiatus) for a 12-week class and very happily am back for another 12-week session in January. So excited to be back teaching - I didn't realize just how much I had missed it! Hoping it continues in April with the next sessions. I am enjoying it immensely and was so thrilled that a few of my previous students have been back to join me!

I absolutely love the Soul Connexion Studio and all the fabulous people who work and teach there - it is an amazingly great vibe in there and I adore it! Also, on Saturday, February 24, 2018 I will be giving a Mother/Day Belly Dance workshop at Soul Connexion - it is always a lot of fun. We have Mother/Daughter pairs from young toddler age girls to full grown adults and their senior mothers and everything in between. It's fun, we learn a little combo, and we have some fantastic bonding time with the ones we love. To register, contact www.soulconnexion.ca or to find out more details. 

Last May during our ARWA's 30th Anniversary Party (Alberta Romance Writers' Association) - myself and a couple Little Fish entertained the group by dancing (and I taught some of the members for a bit).  Was great fun, and Mayor Naheed Nenshi showed up to speak to us about literacy (and was able to stay for some of the dancing). I believe it was during this party as I was teaching some of the ARWA members some moves when I realized just how much I had truly missed teaching. I was still dancing with The Little Fish Belly Dance Company, but I really missed teaching!

The Little Fish Belly Dance Company hosted another Outside The Bowl III show in November 2017 and it was a blast! We have such a fantastic dance community here! So many wonderful dancers and performances!

I did a complete revamp of my very first solo performance which I first performed as a baby belly dancer in 2004! I love the song and it was very emotional for me.

Amit Thankey took photos for us that night and yes, I had blue hair at this time.


The Little Fish did a baladi to honour Serena's Grandmother, who unfortunately passed away earlier in 2017.

Translated, it is the "handkerchief song" and was her Grandmother's favourite song - she sang it all the time.

Serena's mother was in the audience and she said she enjoyed it. We dressed "a la Fifi Abdou" for it and it is now one of MY favourite songs!

Our "Outside The Bowl" piece was a very cool choreography from our troupe leader where we were fairies at the beginning, but lost our wings at the end. Was SO much fun to do - we really enjoyed being fairies! (and frankly, for this piece, my blue hair worked!)


I registered for a belly dance workshop in Calgary with Ashley Rhianne (from Vancouver) on February 10 and 11, 2018 and I'm completely thrilled! It's been awhile since I've been able to attend a workshop. I intend on working hard and watching and learning all I can. We can never stop learning! I've only been belly dancing 16 years, there is so much to continually learn! I love this art form!

I'm glad to be back teaching and the Fish start up again February 6th. Our troupe leader is having a baby so is taking a bit of a hiatus, and the Fish are meeting up to collaborate together on choreography pieces - it will be fabulous and a lot of fun! (AND we will still be together!) I am happy to be getting more focused on dancing again (not that I don't love being a Mom!)

I love the style of dance I do and I want to continually learn and explore it. I want to pass my passion for Middle Eastern Dance to my students. I want to dance.

Shimmy on...
Melika




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond

Now is the summer of my discontent...