Raq' On!

November you have been one saucy minx!!!  First, props go out to my students, as some of them did indeed dress up in costume for their Halloween classes - <sniff> - so proud!  Then there was the fantastic workshop by Faten Salama (and show), and then my Raq'N Monkey came in!!!

Me and my mini-me
I was quite happy when I (of course) showed up in costume for my classes just a few days prior to Halloween, and lo' and behold, some of my students dressed up as well!! I was very giggly about that. They didn't even mind when I put on Michael Jackson Thriller and we danced to it.  Seriously - I have awesome students - they fill my soul with joy every single Friday night!!!

Beginners

Although, to be honest, I have been in a bit of a funk lately.  I KNOW this time of year is hard for people to make it to classes due to Christmas parties/office functions, holidays, family events, etc.  It is just a little disheartening when I have a full class registered for beginners, and have 3-5 who regularly attend every week. They are the "I want to be here" people. 
 
Paws Up Intermediates!

I know the 8 PM time slot for beginners is hard, and when people initially sign up they figure it will not be a problem for them, but it bums me out when they show up for the first 2 or 3 weeks, then stop coming.  I'm not talking about those who live far away/out of town, or those who have weeks they just can't make it, but come when they can.  I'm talking about the ones who sign up, show up twice, and are never heard from again.  They don't contact the studio to say they are dropping out, that something has come up (work schedule change, etc.) Nothing.  Meanwhile, those who WANTED to get into the class couldn't because it was full.

I was honestly wondering if it was the timeslot (or me!).  It was pointed out to me other classes in that timeslot do fine - that if people want to come to the class, they will make the effort.  And there ARE some who consistently make the effort (my intermediates and advanced students always do - but the late beginner class is a new one and a 12-week course). So you know what? I'm keeping that timeslot and hoping those who initially wanted to get into the 12-week beginner class but couldn't because it was full will sign up for January's 12-week course. We shall see!

Me and Faten

Meeting Faten Salama at her November 5 and 6, 2011 workshop was fabulous!!! I truly enjoyed just watching her - she would start to do a choreography and you could SEE she forgot we were there.  I have very rarely watched a dancer and seen that much joy on their face.  She just loves to dance - you can see it, you can feel it - and it's amazing to sit back and just watch. 

After the workshop I got to spend some time with Faten at Emad and Carol's house for dinner.  What an amazing woman! I absolutely fell in love with her! Suzy said she is hoping to bring her back and I will definitely attend! She has a wealth of knowledge and history to share, and honestly, I could sit down and listen to her talk for an entire weekend - I would have no problem with that! Amazing!
Couch discussion at Emad and Carols
I tell you - it was starting to be a fantastic November, and then, it got even better! I had ordered a "Raq'N Monkey" from Stacey Peacock out of Edmonton (she is working on a Raq'N Monkey website but for now, they have a page on Facebook).  Stacey is unbelievably talented.  I told her "surprise me".  WOW. Did she!  She not only added the pink to my monkey's hair, but she embroidered ALL my tattoos onto my monkey - which I had completely not expected.  Check my mini-me out and tell me this is not fabulous!!!

 
The Inspiration

My "Oops" Pose!

Back Tattoos

So, November has been a pretty cool month - PLUS the Fish have been playing with swords!!!  Love it!  We are guest dancers at the "Middle East Meets East Side" show on December 4th at the Loose Moose Theatre.  The show is being produced by Studio Sublime and should be an awful lot of fun.  We are doing our sword dance, which we love to do!  Looking great going into December! 

I love belly dancing.  I love seeing people be as passionate about belly dancing as I am.  I love that moment when they realize just how much they love it.  I have that feeling every damn time I dance, and I hope I never ever lose it!!

Shimmy on...
Melika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond

October - what a month!!!