October - what a month!!!

Wow!!! October has definitely been interesting so far!!! After being sick since mid-September and then still being ill completing my Zumba Instructor Training on October 2nd, I FINALLY got my butt to the doctors around October 13th. Only to find out for the past month I hadn't been suffering from a cold or the flu, but a really bad sinus infection....whoops...

October 2, 2011 - Zumba Instructor Training in Calgary
(Andrea Sandhu - instructor in the front row in front of me)

Long story short - I received antibiotics and completed them.  Feeling MUCH better and promise if I ever again get a fever for more than 4 days, I shall immediately hike on over to the doctors office.

On the "OMG I had NO idea I would have SO MUCH FUN!" front - I gotta say - I LOVED the Zumba instructor training! It was brutal, I was sweating a lot (though did have a fever but hey) and I believe our Zumba trainer Andrea Sandhu had a lot to do with it.  Seriously - I want to be her when I grow up!!! She was FANTASTIC and really showed me how Zumba is supposed to be! So basically - I need to practice...A LOT.  The biggest thing is the cueing - the choreography and steps are fun - but the cueing for others is the part I really have to get down before even remotely wanting to teach a Zumba class. It made SUCH a huge difference!!! Awesome!

So, it's been fun in my classes this month! Beginners are getting drilled (a lot), intermediates are learning to use veils, and my advanced girls are learning to work with swords so they can learn a sword piece.  Was hard to do as we only had MY sword, but last week I picked up their swords from Son of the Pharaoh, and the girls who were in class bought their swords and got to start using and getting used to their very own swords.

Melika with Little Fish
Sword piece in "Performance with Mira Betz" 2008

I remember when I first got my sword years ago...so awesome!!! I LOVE swords!!! Luckily, not only do I get to teach them how to use swords, but I myself get to use mine again as the Little Fish will be performing one of my favorite choreographies with a sword for the December "Middle East Meets East Side" show at the Loose Moose Theater on December 4, 2011.  I'll be putting the information up about the show on my www.melikabellydancer.com website - so check it out!!!  Lots and lots of Calgary dancers will be there!

As well, Raquia Hassan can't get her visa to get into Canada, but luckily, Shimmy Productions was able to get Faten Salama to take over the November 4-6, 2011 workshop! That should be fun!!! The Little Fish will be performing our saidi piece (which we did the for Aziza show in October 2010).  Ah...I love dancing!!!

Shimmy on!
Melika

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond