Now is the summer of my discontent...

Well now...it's been insane this past little while in my tiny little world.  I vow to update my blog at LEAST once per month, no matter what, from now on! Unbelievable to me I have been so lazy! My apologizes, although frankly, not sure my life as of late would have interested everyone!

At the beginning of April, had a wonderful time helping Son of the Pharaoh put on a workshop with Nourhan Shariff and Karim Nagi - they are both absolutely fantastic teachers AND stunning performers to watch! They worked very well together (I thought anyway) teaching the weekend workshops - I found them very informative and both quite down-to-earth and approachable. Karim has some INSANELY fantastic music mixes he's done - LOVED them! He played me a few ones he's done with Michael Jackson songs - they were sooooooo good!!
 
Nourhan Shariff, Karim Nagi and Melika
 
I also had the honour of performing in the show with them that weekend, performing my Michael Jackson belly dancing fusion tribute (was requested).  Let me tell you the joy I had when I found out from other dancers Karim had been dancing away and loving the MJ piece!  I couldn't see him, but I could see Emad Adly from Son of the Pharaoh dancing in the doorway - makes my heart smile to know others love that piece as much as I love performing it.

"Wall of Stars"
(I'm in the middle bottom in the turquoise outfit)

All in all it was an incredibly enjoyable weekend, even though it was the first weekend I was away from my darling son David.  Although, he enjoyed some awesome father-son time that weekend while Mommy got to be with her belly dancing friends, so was a win-win for everyone! I have an incredibly fantastic and supportive husband who doesn't mind being a belly dance widower every once in awhile.

Shut Up and Shimmy
 
At the end of April, I held an intimate and very fun Mother/Daughter workshop, run by the phenomenal Soul Connexion Studios where I teach.  A few who were registered didn't make it, but it was still a joyous time and the kids were SO much fun!! Everyone seemed to really have a good time and it was a nice way to have some Mother/Daughter time with these ladies.
 
Mother/Daughter Workshop Participants

However, June has rather sucked, but such is life.  First, Calgary had a horrendous flood around June 20, 2013.  On June 24, 2013, my twin sister had to get the police to break into my father's house to rescue him. He had suffered a stroke, then a heart attack.  We were told that Monday his kidneys were shutting down and he wasn't expected to live.  He did.  Twice that first week they told us he wasn't going to make it through the night. He did.  My father is a fighter - always has been.  He had many obstacles and more medical issues come up, however they finally were able to stabilize him.  He has recently been moved to a rehabilitation centre, so he is working very hard on physiotherapy as his goal is to be able to go home and receive at-home care. 

Grandpa feeding David Cheerios during a visit 

Every day I have been at the hospital, so it has been VERY tiring (both emotionally and physically) and NOT the summer I had envisioned spending with my son before I go back to work. But again, we work around hospital visits and I try to get David out to do some kind of fun things.  Most important though, is Grandpa is alive and loves his visits with David.  It could have been a far more tragic summer, and for the fact my Father is incredibly stubborn and a fighter - I rejoice.
 

Now that Dad is more stable and I can breathe a slight sigh of relief, I intend on getting back to practicing not only my belly dancing, but my Zumba as well.  I really was NOT in a head space to do either, and I was supposed to teach Zumba at Soul Connexion over the summer on Tuesday nights.  They were VERY supportive and said they would get subs for me for awhile as they realized I wasn't quite in the right frame of mind to teach.  I'm not kidding when I say it is an incredible studio, and Cara and her staff are so supportive of their teachers - I love teaching there!!! But I need to get back into my teaching/dancing frame of mind, I need to get back to being ME.
 
My family is incredibly important to me and we have formed an even stronger bond since Dad's stroke.  I have just over one month left with David during the summer before I go back to work full time and my Fall Soul Connexion classes begin - so I will continue to see Dad every morning, and spend afternoons with my son to enjoy the rest of summer as much as I can.  And to dance - of course!
 
My Darling baby boy - David
 
Always remember - no matter what life throws at you - you can handle it.  It may suck, it may hurt, it may be physically and emotionally draining, but you DO have the strength to get through it.  Keep love, light and laughter in your life.  Keep family and friends close to your heart, and it will help you through.  And dance - remember to always dance!
 
Shimmy On...
Melika
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Style Blog

Inspiring Workshops and The Fish Pond